Orientation Leaders play an integral role in the success of New Mexico State University (NMSU) Orientation program. Orientation Leaders are recognized leaders throughout the NMSU community. They are actively involved in assisting all new students with their transition to NMSU. Orientation Leaders serve as group leaders, contact between various departments, academic colleges, peer educators, and positive role models.
Orientation Leaders participate in an extensive training program that begins in the Spring semester and continues throughout the summer leading into the first orientation program. They are trained and expected to be knowledgeable about institutional information, group dynamics, and student development issues. Orientation Leaders participate in recruitment and retention initiatives for new students during Aggie Experience,Move-in weekend, Crimson Kick-off activities, such as First Year Walk etc.,
- Assist new students and their families transition into the NMSU community.
- To be knowledgeable about NMSU’s campus, policies, procedures, and services and to share this information in a professional manner with new students and their families.
- To assist with all aspects of the Aggie Welcome & Orientation programs, including leadings groups of new students or family members, check-in, set-up, skits, academic sessions, facilitation of academic advising meet ups.
- To represent NMSU in a professional manner.
- To participate in recruitment of prospective students and the next Orientation staff in the Fall 2017 semester.
- To work as a team member to accomplish the mission and objectives of the Orientation programs.
- To perform other duties as assigned by the AWO Orientation Specialist.
- Full-time undergraduate NMSU main campus student, with at least one semester completed by January 2016
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better upon hire and maintain during Spring 2016
- Must be enrolled or plan to enroll for the Fall 2017 semester
- Cannot be on disciplinary probation with the University at any point both disciplinary or academic
- If selected, applicants must be able to attend all required dates listed in application offer letter
- Must be available during Summer 2017 to work all summer programs
- Must be available Tuesday evenings in the Spring 2017 semester for Orientation Leader training 5-9:30pm
- Relate and interact well with students, families, faculty and staff of NMSU
- Summer 2017 classes have to be approved by the Orientation Program Specialist prior to registering for them
- Must have FAFSA on file upon applying
- Commitment: be attentive to the responsibilities of the Orientation Leader position
Questions? Call 575-646-8038 or 575-646-4496 or email us at email@example.com.
Important Dates with Times & Locations:
- OL Employment Notification Letter available
- December 1, 2016
- Must pick up in person as early as 8am in Educational Services, RM 6. Everyone will have a letter.
- Orientation Leader Offer & Alternative Pool Letters Due
- December 6, 2016 by 5pm in Educational Services, RM 6
Steps to Apply:
- Print out OL application or pick one up in our office
- Make sure you are turning in ALL required materials
- Fill out packet, and follow ALL instructions
- Returner Orientation Leader Packet and Requirements are different from a First Timer Orientation Leader applying
- Turn in complete packet into the Orientation Office, Ed Services, RM 6
Print Orientation Leader Application: