Orientation Leaders play an integral role in the success of New Mexico State University’s Orientation program.
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are recognized throughout the NMSU community and are actively involved in assisting all new students with their transition to NMSU. They serve as group leaders, role models, liaisons between various departments and academic colleges, and overall peer educators.
The 2018 Orientation Leader Application has closed. Thank you for your interest!
Keep our great institution’s traditions alive by showing your Aggie spirit! As an OL you help pass on NMSU traditions to new Aggies.
Grow as a leader! As an OL you will have many opportunities to lead and become an advocate for new students.
Be the voice! As an OL you will help new students become successful and guide them through their journey.
Leave your legacy! As an OL you will leave an everlasting mark on New Mexico State University.
As an OL you will have a lot of fun and create lasting memories.
Looking for all the details?
Take a look at the complete job description and the program timeline.
What is an Orientation Leader?
Orientation Leaders play an integral role in the success of New Mexico State University’s Orientation program. Orientation Leaders are recognized throughout the NMSU community and are actively involved in assisting all new students with their transition to NMSU. They serve as group leaders, role models, liaisons between various departments and academic colleges, and overall peer educators.
Orientation Leaders participate in an extensive training program that begins in the Spring semester and continues throughout the summer, leading into the first orientation program. They are trained and expected to be knowledgeable about institutional information, group dynamics, and student development issues. Orientation Leaders participate in recruitment and retention initiatives for new students such as Aggie Experience Day, Move-In Day and First Year Walk.
What does an OL do?
- Assist new students and their family members transition into the NMSU community
- Represent NMSU in a professional manner
- Be knowledgeable about NMSU’s campus policies, procedures and services and share this information in professional manner with new students and their families
- Assist with all aspects of the Aggie Welcome & Orientation programs
- Group facilitation of new students or family members
- Participate in recruitment events for prospective students
- Work as a team to accomplish the mission and objectives of the Aggie Welcome and Orientation Office and as New Mexico State University
- Other duties as assigned by the AWO Leadership Staff
How do I become an OL?
- Full-time undergraduate NMSU Main Campus student, with at least one semester completed by January 2018
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better upon hire and maintained during Spring 2018
- Must be enrolled or plan to enroll for Fall 2018 semester
- Cannot be on disciplinary or academic probation at NMSU at any point during academic year
- Applicants selected must be available Summer 2018
- Must be available Tuesday evenings during Spring 2018 from 5:30-9:30pm
- Summer 2018 courses must be approved by AWO Leadership
|OL Application Opens||September 15, 2017||8:00am||Online|
|Meet & Greet||September 25, 2017||6:00pm||Barnes & Noble (NMSU)|
|Interest Meeting||October 2, 2017||10:30-11:15am||Across from Einstein’s in Corbett|
|Interest Meeting||October 12, 2017||10:30-11:15am||Across from Einstein’s in Corbett|
|Interest Meeting||October 26, 2017||10:30-11:15am||Across from Einstein’s in Corbett|
|Application Deadline||October 31, 2017||5:00pm||Online|
|Group Interviews||November 3, 2017||5:30pm||Corbett Center Ballrooms- 3rd Floor|
|Individual Interviews||November 10, 2017||Per individuals Appointment||Corbett Center 1st Floor Campus Activities|
|Individual Interviews||November 12-17, 2017||Per individuals Appointment||Corbett Center 1st Floor Campus Activities|
|Offers Available||December 1, 2017||8:00am||Ed. Services Rm 6 (AWO Office)|
|Acceptance Letters Due||December 6, 2017||5:00pm||Ed. Services Rm 6 (AWO Office)|
|Returning OL Meeting||January 16, 2018||TBA||TBA|
|OL Social||January 16, 2018||4:00-5:30pm||Ed. Services Rm 7 (Next to the AWO Office)|
|First Day of Training||January 23, 2018||5:30pm||TBA|
|2018 Orientation Programs||April- August 2018||All Day||On Campus|