Orientation Leaders play an integral role in the success of New Mexico State University’s Orientation program.
Find out more about becoming an Orientation Leader and making an impact on next year’s incoming students. AWO welcomes freshman and transfer students throughout the later spring semester and all summer long. Great leadership experience and networking opportunities for around campus.
For further questions please contact the Aggie Welcome and Orientation office at 575-646-8038 or email to email@example.com.
Keep our great institution’s traditions alive by showing your Aggie spirit! As an OL you help pass on NMSU traditions to new Aggies.
Grow as a leader! As an OL you will have many opportunities to lead and become an advocate for new students.
Be the voice! As an OL you will help new students become successful and guide them through their journey.
Leave your legacy! As an OL you will leave an everlasting mark on New Mexico State University.
As an OL you will have a lot of fun and create lasting memories.
What is an Orientation Leader?
Orientation Leaders play an integral role in the success of New Mexico State University’s Orientation program. Orientation Leaders are recognized throughout the NMSU community and are actively involved in assisting all new students with their transition to NMSU. They serve as group leaders, role models, liaisons between various departments and academic colleges, and overall peer educators.
Orientation Leaders participate in an extensive training program that begins in the Spring semester and continues throughout the summer, leading into the first orientation program. They are trained for the student program or the family program and expected to be knowledgeable about institutional information, group dynamics, and student development issues. Orientation Leaders participate in recruitment and retention initiatives for new students such as Aggie Experience Day, Move-In Day and First Year Walk.
What does an OL do?
- Assist all new students and their families transition into the NMSU community
- Represent NMSU in a professional manner
- Be knowledgeable about NMSU’s campus policies, procedures and services and share this information in a professional manner with new students and their families
- Assist with all aspects of the Aggie Welcome & Orientation programs
- Students will be hired to work specifically with the student program or the family program
- Participate in recruitment events for prospective students
- Work as a team to accomplish the mission and objectives of the Aggie Welcome and Orientation Office and as New Mexico State University
- Other duties as assigned by the AWO Leadership Staff
How do I become an OL?
- Full-time undergraduate NMSU Main Campus student, with at least one semester completed by January 2020
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better upon hire and maintained during employment
- Must be enrolled the Spring 2020 semester and plan to enroll for Fall 2020
- Cannot be on disciplinary or academic probation at NMSU at any point during the 2020 calendar year
- Applicants selected must be available Summer 2020
- Must be available for training, day and time to be determined
- Summer 2020 courses must be pre-approved by AWO Leadership staff
- Students must apply through AggieCareer Manager powered by handshake