- Evidence shows that students who participate in an orientation prior to their first semester are more successful and engaged in their college experience.
- Orientation is a time when the student has the opportunity to integrate into the NMSU campus community by meeting faculty, staff, and create bonds with other students.
- Orientation allows the student to learn about the various campus resources available to them here at NMSU.
- Students have the opportunity to learn about academic requirements, course offerings, and registration procedures.
Orientation this year will be a little bit different from past years. Orientation this year will be provided in two parts: Prior to your selected AWO date, you will be given access to our Orientation Canvas Course. In this course you will learn about the different resources NMSU has to offer as well as your responsibilities as a student. Then during the virtual experience (through Microsoft Teams) on your AWO date, you will engage with some of the offices you learned about, “meet” other students, hear directly from university staff, discover unique experiences that your major or college have for you to get involved in, and meet with your Academic Advisor in a one-on-one meeting and register for classes.
You can sign up for Aggie Welcome & Orientation by going to our Register for Orientation button on the AWO webpage!
You will receive an email to both your personal email and NMSU email when the course is ready for you. It will be provided to you at least 5 days before your AWO session, so that you have time to complete the modules and be prepared for the live virtual experience on your AWO date.
We will be hosting dynamic virtual experiences on your chosen AWO date, since you already have this time scheduled, and we know that university faculty and staff are available on those days. This helps us provide you with both recorded videos and content to read prior to your AWO date, but also engage you with live presentations where you can ask questions and “in-person” one-on-one meetings with your Academic Advisor.
The orientation fee for this year is $99.00 which will be charged to your account upon registering for an orientation program. All first-time undergraduate students at New Mexico State University will be charged this fee. A minimum $50.00 payment must be made to secure your spot at orientation. Your reservation will not be confirmed prior to the payment being received and the program you selected may not be available at a later date. This $50 does go towards your overall $99.00 fee. This fee is used to provide programs and services to help new students with their transition to NMSU including the following:
- AWO Bag of Swag (we are looking at mailing these out, otherwise you can pick up in August)
- Online Resources for Students and Families
- Crimson Kick-off week events
Students who signed up for AWO before this fee was changed will receive a credit back to their student account. If they paid in full and no other charges are on their account, then NMSU will issue a refund.
- If you are an incoming student and can’t make any of the virtual AWO sessions, please contact Orientation Specialist Amanda Madrid at email@example.com to discuss other options.
- If you are still planning on being an NMSU student, we ask that you reschedule your orientation instead of cancelling. To reschedule, you can log back into the AWO reservation system and select another open date.
- If you are no longer coming to NMSU, we can cancel your AWO reservation, and inactivate your application with NMSU (which includes cancelling any scholarships or housing assignments that you have).
- If you cancel more than 10 days before your AWO date (or before starting Online Orientation) – you will receive a full refund.
- If you cancel less than 10 days before your AWO date (or after starting Online Orientation) – you will receive a $49 refund (we will keep the $50 deposit).
- NOTE: We will not cancel you simply because you did not show up for the session you registered for. It is your responsibility to cancel with our office.
- To cancel, please email the AWO office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Undergraduate Students
- Freshmen Transfer
- Transfer from Out-of-state
- Transfer from In-state
The Hold is removed by Aggie Welcome and Orientation staff after you have completed your Orientation.
Absolutely! We will be providing various resources, programming, and opportunities for live, virtual, connection with Family Outreach staff specifically for family during the student orientation dates. Please ensure that your family member or guest’s email address is provided when you fill out your registration form for AWO. If you already submitted your form and would like to go back and add their email, you can edit your form here: https://newstudentregistration.nmsu.edu/login . For family and guest questions please contact the Family Outreach staff at email@example.com.
¡Definitivamente! Proporcionaremos varios recursos, programas y oportunidades para que las familias se conecten en vivo con el personal de “Family Outreach”, tendremos un programa específico para ellas durante las mismas fechas de orientación que sus estudiantes. Asegúrese de proporcionar la dirección de correo electrónico de su familiar o invitado cuando complete su formulario de registro de A.W.O. Si ya envió su formulario y desea agregar su correo electrónico, puede editar su formulario en este sitio web: https://newstudentregistration.nmsu.edu/login. Si tiene preguntas acerca de los familiares e invitados, comuníquese con el personal de “Family Outreach” el correo de ellos es firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit https://myaccount.nmsu.edu/activation to set up your NMSU email account.
- Once you’ve set up your myNMSU email; log on an set up your security questions
- To check email click blue icon on the left side under the LaunchPad
- If you have never checked your myNMSU email all you must do is pick a time zone and language
- After that you are free to roam about your email